About Bikram Yoga
Bikram Choudhury is an internationally renowned yoga teacher from India who has taught over three million students. He brought his system to the United States in 1971 at the invitation of the American Medical Association.
Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class is a routine of 26 poses, which works the whole body in 90 minutes. The poses work synergistically and cumulatively to return the body to a balanced state. Yoga builds energy, stamina and flexibility. It incorporates strength, challenge, gravity, balance and most importantly, the tourniquet effect. The Bikram technique allows the stretching, squeezing and massaging of the internal organs, flushing out the lymphatic system and stimulating the endocrine and nervous systems in order to release any deficient hormones and enzymes. The body is self-regulating and self-adjusting.
The routine of Bikram Yoga is dynamic and exhilarating. The room is intentionally warm so that your muscles will stretch more easily. The series works equally well for beginning as well as advanced students. Bikram says: "Never too late, never too old, never too bad and never too sick to do this yoga and start from scratch again."
A Regular Bikram Yoga Practice
- Regulates cholesterol in the blood
- Supplies oxygen and nutrients to parts of the body that hve been blocked or stagnant
- Eliminates toxins
- Flushes the lymphatic system
- Balances the endocrine glands
- Improves the spine's flexibility and health
- Expands lung capacity and strengthens the heart
- Lubricates joints and strengthens bones
- Stretches and tones the muscles
- Promotes weight loss